It's been a long time.
I thought that I had a pretty low-friction setup with my new blog on Octopress. However, that was not the case. This morning I decided I needed to get my blog back up. There have been a few times in the last couple of years that I wished I had it available. However, I didn't have any of the dependencies set up on my new laptop. So I set out to get ruby installed and ready to generate my blog again.
After an hour of fighting
bundle, I decided it was finally time
to take the plunge, and switch to a Python-based tool.
I installed Pelican, and had it generating my new site from the default skeleton in a few minutes. Granted, I've had to take some more time choosing a theme and porting my content over. But grand total it's only taken me an hour or two of tinkering, and should reduce my blogging friction substantially, both on new machines and on existing setups.
I did port over most of the content from my old blog. I may delete some of it going forward, mostly out of embarassment.
I lost my old disqus comments -- since there was only one comment on my old blog, I decided it wasn't worth the potential hassle of making sure it translated cleanly.
Additionally, the RSS feed is new, so you'll have to resubscribe.
So here we are, on the newest edition of blog.basepi.net. Hope you like it.